Toor Dal Recipe | Thuvaram paruppu recipe
Toor Dal Recipe - It is famous with several other names, such as Tuvar dal, Arhar dal,Split pigeon pea,Tovar dal, Tur dal, Thuvaram paruppu .
Ingredients for Toor Dal
- 1 cup Toor dal
- 1 medium size finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 green chili chopped
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder for boiling dal
- 1 tsp coriander powder for boiling dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 whole red chili
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Fresh coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
How to cook the recipe
- Soak 1 cup toor dal in water for about 20 minutes. Then boil the dal by adding about 2 cups of water, 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and salt to taste. Boiling of dal with take about 15 minutes. When dal is completely boiled, add some water, mash it with hand blender and keep aside.
- Heat about 2 tbsp of oil in big vessel or pan. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Allow the seeds to pop up and then add 1 whole dried red chili. Saute for a few seconds on low flame.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion, chopped green chili. Cook it on low flame with continuous stirring and then add few curry leaves. Keep cooking for 2-3 minutes, till the onion is translucent.
- Now add 1 chopped tomato and mix well.
- Add 1/2 tsp red chili powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder. Keep stirring for few minutes on low flame, till the masala gets mixed with onion and tomatoes.
- Then add boiled dal and about 1 cup of water. Simmer the flame and season dal with salt. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, till it starts boiling and in between add fine chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Toor dal is ready to serve with Steamed or Jeera rice.