Vendakkai sambar is a delicious, popular and easy to make South Indian sambar. Vendakkai Sambar is a lentil based stew. A simple and healthy sambar recipe made with okra(bhindi) and mashed lentil. This recipe is an ideal curry for south Indian lunch and is mainly served as a main dish with hot steamed rice.
For more curry recipe
How to Make Bhindi Sambar Recipe | Ladies Finger / Okra Sambar Recipe
Ingredients for Vendakkai sambar
- 1/2 cup Ladies Finger
- 1/2 cup Toor dhal
- 1 tsp Tamarind pulp
- 2 tsp Sambar podi
- 7 Small Onions
- 1 Tomato
- A pinch of hing
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- 1 Red chilli
How to cook the recipe
- Soak toor dal for half an hr. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles along with turmeric powder and mash.keep it aside.
- Wash and wipe Ladies Finger before cutting.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a pan add ladies finger fry for 5-10 minutes in low flame. Now it is 80% cooked and no sticky ness. keep it aside.
- Now add 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker add mustard seeds Once it starts to splutter, add curry leaves, red chilli, small onion, tomatoes and saute for 5 minutes
- add ladies finger, mix well, add sambar powder, hing, tamarind pulp, cooked dal along with water, add 1 cup water, salt and allow it to boil and switch off the flame.
- Vendakkai sambar is ready to serve.