Semiya upma which is also known as vermicelli upma is an easy and tasty south Indian breakfast recipe. It requires only few ingredients to prepare.
It is prepared by using vermicelli, a traditional type of pasta round in section similar to spaghetti.You can prepare this dish with just Vermicelli or you can add vegetables like carrot, beans, tomato, onions to make it more delicious and yummy.
If you add more vegetables to this dish, Kids will really love it and also will add more nutrition to your kids in this way.
You can also prepare many dishes using this vermicelli,
You can have below dishes as your side dish for your upma.
More upma dishes
Semiya upma recipe | Vermicelli upma recipe | South Indian Breakfast Recipe
Ingredients for Semiya upma
- 2 cups rice vermicelli
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander
How to cook the recipe
- Add oil to a hot pan.
- Add mustard, cumin, urad dal and let it splutter.
- Once the dals turn golden brown, add the onions , green chili , and coriander and saute until they are translucent . Add the water, salt and give a quick stir
- Wait until the water just starts to boil. Add the vermicelli to the pan and mix well
- Until the vermicelli is cooked through.
- Serve hot with chutney or pickles of your choice.