Sambar Recipe | South Indian Homemade Recipe
Sambar Recipe - Sambar, a hot and spicy lentil soup with mixed vegetables, is a must have accompaniment for popular South Indian Recipe .
Ingredients for Sambar Recipe
- 1/3 cup Toor Dal split pigeon peas
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 to 2 vegetable drumsticks
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- 1+1/2 cup cups Water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- Salt to taste
For Sambar Powder :
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 1 tsp urdal dal
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 methi seeds
- 4 to 5 red chili
For tempering :
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1-2 Dry Red Chillies broken
How to cook the recipe
- Wash the toor dal thoroughly and drain.
- Combine the washed dal and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 5 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid
- Blend the dal using a hand blender till it is smooth and keep aside.
- Combine the drumsticks with 1 cup of water in a pan and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes or till the vegetables are soft. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and dry red chili and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onion and tomatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked drumstick, tamarind pulp, cooked dal, sambar masala, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder , salt and ¾ cup of water, mix well and bring to boil and allow to cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the coriander leaves, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Serve hot.