Onion Chutney is basic south Indian chutney recipe served with idli and dosa. It is made with basic ingredients like onion and dry red chilies. It tastes spicy and easy to make at home. There are many varieties of chutney served in breakfast with idli, dosa, pongal and medu vada.
For more chutney recipes
How to make Red Onion Chutney recipe
Ingredients for Onion Chutney
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- 5-8 Red Chillies
- Salt to taste
- gooseberry sized tamarind Soaked
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Asafoetida Powder
How to cook the recipe
- Soak Chillies in water for half an hour.
- Take out Chillies from water. Add salt, tamarind and onions.
- Blend the onion mixture to a smooth chutney and transfer in a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter and add asafoetida powder and pour over chutney and mix well.
- Serve immediately with hot idlis or dosa.