Masala Dosa Recipe | South Indian Recipe
Masala Dosa Recipe - Masala dosa is a stuffed dosa recipe. Lightly cooked potatoes with onions, spices, curry leaves and mustard seeds .
Servings: 3 people
- 2 Cups Rice preferably parboiled
- 1/2 Cup Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp Salt
For the Masala for Dosas:
- 500 Gram Potatoes peeled and cubed, boiled
- 1 1/2 Cups Onions sliced
- 2 Green chilies finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powdered
- 1/2 Cup Water
How to cook the recipe
- Wash and soak the rice in one container and the dal and fenugreek seeds together in another container for 5-6 hours or over night.
- Grind dal mixture together to a very smooth consistency. Next grind the rice smooth too and mix the two batters.
- Add salt and enough water to make into a dropping consistency. Leave to ferment over-night till a little spongy.
- If thickened too much, add a little water to thin a bit. Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and immediately pour batter onto it, spreading it thin, with a circular motion.
- This will have to be very swift and will need a bit of practice.
- After spreading the batter, lower the heat and dribble a little oil around the edges so that it seeps under the dosa.
- When edges start browning a bit, pass a flat spoon under it to ease the dosa off the pan. Put desired filling in the center, and fold the two edges over.
- Serve accompanied with sambar and chutney.
Prepare the masala filling:
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and add the mustard seeds, then onions, curry leaves and green chilies, and saute over high heat till the onions are a little transparent.
- Add the salt and the turmeric and mix well, before adding the potatoes.
- Turn the potatoes around till well mixed, and add the water, and let it simmer, for 2-3 minutes.
- Masala is ready.