Pongal is one of the most popular harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu. It is cooked with jaggery, ghee and cashew nuts and is offered to sun god. There are two varieties of pongal, Sakkarai pongal which is a sweet, and Ven pongal, made from clarified butter. The word pongal generally refers to spicy pongal, and is a common breakfast food in Tamil Nadu￼ .
For more breakfast recipes
Iyengar Sakkarai Pongal Recipe | Best Temple Sakkarai Pongal Recipe | Sweet Pongal Recipe
Ingredients for Sakkarai Pongal
- 1 cup of Raw rice
- 1/4 cup of moong dal
- 2-3 cup of Jaggery
- 1/2 cup Cashew
- 2 tbsp Dry grapes
- 1 tsp of Cardamom powder
- 5 tbsp of Ghee
- 1-2 cup of Milk
How to cook the recipe
- Dry roast moong dal for 1-2 mins until you get light golden brown color.
- Add roasted moong dal into 1 cup of Raw rice and rinse twice with water.
- Add 2 1/2 cup of water and 2 cup of milk into pressure cooker.Add Raw rice and moong Dal mix.
- keep it for 4-5 whistle and make it rest for a while to cool down.Add 2 tbsp of Ghee into pan and roast dry grapes and Cashewnuts keep aside.
- After pressure went down, open the lid and smash Rice and dal together.
- In the mean time,Take a pan and cook jaggery and add half cup of water and make it as one string consistency level.
- Add rice and dal mix into jaggery pan and mix it well.
- Allow to cook for 5 mins. once it start boiling add 1 tsp of Cardamom powder, Cashewnuts and dry grapes.
- Mix it well and cook it for another 5 mins
- Switch of the flame.Pongal is ready to serve.