Kathirikkai bajji is a spicy and tangy chutney, brinjal blended with tomatoes, green chilies and tamarind. Brinjal Chutney is one of the best side dish for Idli, dosa, Pongal etc. It is very easy to prepare at home.
For more side dish recipes
How to make Kongunad Kathirikkai Bajji Recipe | Coimbatore Style Brinjal Chutney | Kathirikkai Bhaji Recipe
Kathirikkai bajji is a spicy and tangy chutney, brinjal blended with tomatoes, green chilies and tamarind.This chutney suits for idli, dosa & chapathi.
Servings: 3 people
Ingredients Kongunad Kathirikkai Bajji
- 5 chopped Brinjals
- 3 chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small Potato chopped
- 6 shallots
- 2 Green chilli
- 3 Dry Red Chilli
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- little Tamarind
- Salt as required
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Channa dal
How to cook the recipe
- Place all the ingredients mentioned in the pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water. Mix well and switch on the flame.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cover the pressure cooker with the lid.
- When the steam releases, place the weight and cook for 3 whistles.
- When the pressure goes down, remove the weight and open the lid, give a mix.
- If there is excess water, remove it to a bowl and add it after mashing the gravy.
- Transfer the gravy to a large wide deep bowl. Mash the gravy with the help of a wooden smasher and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, once oil is heated add channa dal and fry for few seconds. Then add mustard seeds and allow it to splutter, add dry red chili and curry leaves, add it to the gravy and give a mix.
- Serve hot with idli, dosa and chapathi.