Khichdi is a indian dish made from rice and lentils dal. It is considered one of the first solid foods that babies eat.There are many variations in the Khichdi. Bisi bele bath hot lentil rice, is a famous variant of khichdi from Karnataka, a state in southern India. Pongal, a dish similar to khichdi, is popular in southern India, primarily in tamilnadu . It is primarily made of rice and lentils, and seasoned with cumin and cashews.
For more dal recipes
Simple Dal Khichdi Recipe | How to make Toor Dal Khichdi Recipe
Ingredients for dal khichdi
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup toor dal or moong dal and ½ cup Rice washed and soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- 5 cup water
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chilli
- few curry leaves
How to cook the recipe
- Heat oil in a Pressure cooker add mustard seeds once they splutter and add onion and tomato ,mix and saute till soft.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and asafoetida ,mix and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add red chilli powder ,turmeric powder ,coriander powder ,salt and saute for 30-40 seconds
- Add toor dal or moong dal and soaked rice ,water ,mix well ,cover and pressure cook till the pressure is released 4-6 whistle.
- whip the cooked dal and rice nicely.
- Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds ,curry leaves ,dry red chili and sauté for 20 seconds.Add this to the cooked rice mixture.
- khichdi is ready to serve.