Idli Dosa Batter Recipe | South Indian Style
Idli Dosa Batter Recipe - Idli is one tiffin item that most Indians have grown up eating. Though it is traditionally from South India style.
Ingredients for Idli Dosa Batter
- 2 cups Raw rice
- 1 cup Idly Rice
- 1 cup Urad dal
- 1/2 tbsp Fenugreek
- Salt enough to taste
- Water as required
How to cook the recipe
- In a big bowl, take 2 cups raw rice and 1 cup idly rice, wash it thoroughly and drain off the water. Now soak it in at least 6 cups of water. Let it soak for 5 hrs. In another bowl wash and soak urad dal. Urad dal gets soaked easily and it is suggested to soak urad dal just for 1 hr before grinding. Adjust the timing such that when urad dal is soaked for 1 hr, soaking rice completes 5 hrs. In a small bowl take fenugreek seeds and soak it in water for 1 hr (along with urad dal). Keep all of them aside.
- Now using a grinder or a blender, first grind urad dal and fenugreek together to a smooth paste adding water as per required to get the smooth fluffy texture. Fenugreek will add to the flavour and aroma of dosa and is healthy. Fenugreek also helps the batter to be fluffy and helps good fermentation. Transfer it to a mixing bowl and keep it aside.
- Now grind the soaked rice adding enough water and salt, to a thick smooth paste.
- Mix the urad dal batter and the rice batter together and transfer it to a bowl having lid. Make sure that the bowl has enough space to contain the batter even after fermentation as the volume may double.
- In five hours the batter will start fermenting and you have to stir it with a ladle and let the fermented air go out. This fermentation is necessary for both idly and dosa to come out delicious. Either you may make idly or dosa out of the fermented batter right at that time or if you like to make idly/dosa later, keep it closed and refrigerated for your use.