Chili con carne is a Mexican dish that is made of ground beef or chicken then seasoned with chili powder. The chili powder I am talking about is a spice blend that contains spices like cumin, paprika, oregano, cayenne, and coriander. So don’t confuse chili powder with pure powdered chili pepper.
Chili con carne is a versatile dish that you can top it on your taco, burrito, or even over rice.
The best chili con carne recipe | How to make chili con carne recipe
Ingredients chili con carne
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cup of ground chicken
- 1/5 cup of chicken broth
- 1 diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of kidney beans rinsed and drained
How to cook the recipe
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, salt, chili powder, and oregano. Cook for about three to five minutes or until the veggies are fragrant and beginning to soften.
- Stir in the tomato paste,cook for another minute before adding the ground chicken, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until the meat loses its raw color (about 5 minutes).
- Add the broth and simmer for about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and the beans; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 minutes.
- Ladle into your favorite bowl and top with your favorite chili toppings.(ie. cheese, coriander leaves, Greek yogurt, spring onion etc...).