Sambar is generally prepared at every home with any vegetable. chow chow sambar or chayote is added and cooked with lentil to make an excellent dish.Chow Chow(Chayote Squash) is cooked with onions,tomatoes, lentils and tamarind. Add Sambar powder to enhance the flavor. Serve chow chow sambar with rice and poriyal.
For more sambar recipe
Chayote Squash Sambar Recipe | How to make Sambar recipe
Ingredients for chow chow sambar
- 1 no Chow chow
- 1 dry Red chilli
- 1 tsp Mustard
- few Curry leaves
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 to mato finely chopped
- 2 cup Tur dal cooked
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- Salt to taste
- Tamarind juice
- 2 tbsp Sambar powder
How to cook the recipe
- Peel the chow chow or chayote and cut into small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves once they splutter, add dry red chilli, and onion. Sauté for few minutes. Add turmeric powder, salt, water and mix well.
- Add tamarind juice, tomatoes, and sambar powder. Allow to boil well so that the chow chow is cooked and soft.
- Add cooked and toor dhal in medium flame.
- Allow the sambar to thicken.
- sever the sambar with plain rice.