Homemade Italian Lasagna Bolognese is the perfect Italian comfort food for Sunday dinner. It feeds a crowd, can be made in advance and is really one of the most delicious combinations of a delicious homemade bolognese or marinara sauce and pasta. Lasagna (also spelled Lasagne), is literally a meal all by itself. But no Italian dinner would be complete without all of the trimmings of an antipasto, delicious salads, wine and family and friends.
Homemade lasagna is better than any restaurant version and it feeds a crowd for way less than going out to eat.
For more lasagna recipe
Easy Homemade Lasagna Recipe | How to make Healthy Lasagna Recipe | Quick Lasagna Recipe | Traditional Lasagna Recipe
Ingredients Lasagna Recipe
- 2 cups sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cups ground beef or chicken
- 1 large white onion minced
- 5 cloves garlic crushed
- 3/5 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/8 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound lasagna noodles
- 3/8 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- salt to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
How to cook the recipe
- In a large pan over medium heat, add in ground sausage and ground chicken. Break up the meat into small pieces. Add onion and garlic and cook until meat is well browned, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar, fresh basil, fennel, oregano, salt, pepper, and chopped parsley. Pour in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and chicken broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place lasagna noodles into the bottom of a pan. Pour hot tap water directly over the noodles, making sure the pasta is completely immersed in the water. Let them soak for 30 minutes, then drain and discard water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining 2 tablespoons parsley,and salt,. Refrigerate until ready to assemble lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To assemble, spread about 1 cup of meat sauce in the bottom of the prepared pan. Place 4-5 noodles on top. Spread with 1/2 cups of the ricotta cheese mixture.add 1/4 of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layering two more times to create three complete layers. To finish, place a final layer of pasta, topped with another 1 cup of meat sauce to cover the pasta. Top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes to allow cheese to brown. Serve hot.