Vazhaipoo or Banana Flower is an excellent source of fiber. It has many health benefits. Most importantly, Banana flower is a super food for overall health of a women. It also manages diabetes and prevents anemia.
For more recipes
How to Make Vazhaipoo Poriyal Recipe| Banana Flower Poriyal Recipe | Banana Blossom Recipe
Vazhaipoo is an excellent source of fiber. It has many health benefits.Especially for women in treating excessive menstruation bleeding.
Servings: 4 people
Ingredients for Banana Flower Poriyal
- 1 Banana flower
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dhal
- 1/2 tsp channa dhal
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch Asafoetida
- green chilli as per spicy level
- curry leaves
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
How to cook the recipe
- Apply little oil in a hand, remove the petals and separate florets, remove the stigma from all the florets.
- Finely chopped the flowers, keep it aside.
- Add a cup of water to a bowl, add butter milk and mix well, then add finely chopped flowers.(this to avoid the discoloration of banana florets)
- Heat 1 cup of water in a pan, add drained banana florets, salt to taste, turmeric powder, bring this to a boil until banana florets cooked well.
- Take out to a plate and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dhal, channa dhal, hing and green chilli, saute them until splutters and dhals turns to golden brown, add curry leaves, chopped onion saute it until onion is translucent.
- Add the boiled banana flower and give a good mix, salt to taste mix well, stir for 2-5 mins and turn off heat, add grated coconut and mix well.
- Vazhaipoo poriyal is ready to serve.